About Alexander Jelinek, Principal Product Management Consultant
Alexander Jelinek, the principal Product Management Consultant at Sofkor, founded this boutique consultancy with over ten years of product development experience with emphasis on Product Strategy, Feature Prioritization, Branding Strategy, Intuitive User Experience and User Centered Design.
Current Product Management Consultant Work
Alex’ most recent startup is GroundBreaker Inc., which he co-founded with a talented group of peers from Columbia University. That team won admission amidst fierce competition to the Syracuse Student Sandbox, an incubator in upstate New York. Groundbreaker completed a successful pivot, the first lesson at every startup: knowing when to block emotional attachment to your work, abandon the fruits of a large time investment, and simply move forward to potentially greener pastures. During the ensuing sixteen months at GroundBreaker, Alex wears many hats:
- as Chief Product Officer fine-tuning the product strategy, driving the roadmap, prioritizing the backlog, defining the brand (twice actually), and learning via analytics and metrics…
- as UI/UX Designer, implementing the entire front-end of the platform as mockups and then again in HTML/CSS…
- as Agile Project Manager and Scrum Master, directing a large international team of local and offshore developers…
- as DevOps, managing DNS for all servers and web services, including the tricky task of managing SEO optimizations during two rebranding efforts…
- as IT Director, navigating the value propositions of various vendor solutions…
- as IT staff, deploying all internal software and tools…
- as the QA and Test Department (yeah, just him),
- Marketing/PR Department (yup, him again),
- Onsite Barista,
- Chief Comedian and
- a myriad other business-critical roles
Past Product Management Consultant & Related Experiences
Previously Alex was lead consultant for Professional Services at deCarta, a Silicon Valley startup that was the first version of Google Maps. Alex consulted at various US and International B2B and B2C companies.
Alex also delivered B2B tools as a Business Analyst and Project Manager for Corporate Finance, Supply Chain Management, and Product Lifecycle Management at various Fortune 500 companies. During his tenure, Alex’ accomplishments included large-scale product standardization efforts and significant enhancements in quality and usability.
Alex also spent five years as a software engineer at IBM, where he developed a host of advanced software products in the CAD, CAE, and PLM spaces, including an early file synchronization tool that was an early predecessor to DropBox.
Prior to joining IBM, Alex served as a software engineer at a South Florida NASA project focused on weather and hurricane tracking. In addition to his experiences at various B2B and B2C companies, Alex has held key strategic product management roles at several early lifecycle software startups.
Alex holds a BS in Computer Science and is an AIPMM Agile Certified Product Manager, as well as a thoughtful and skilled Product Management Consultant.